Steps in the Resident Enrollment Process
Is your home within the Orono Schools district boundaries?* If yes, then you will complete the resident enrollment process. Here are the steps to get started:
- Request an Address Verification Form at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Complete the form and return it with one of the following verification documents:
- a copy of your lease/rental agreement or
- settlement statement from closing on the purchase of a home or
- a current utility bill that shows the parent/guardian name at the in-district address
Following address verification, the district will provide additional forms and instructions needed to complete enrollment.
*We recommend you verify the assigned school district for any property address as rental or realty listings may be incorrect. Visit Hennepin County Property Information Search and enter the property address. If the home/apartment is within our boundaries, you will see School District 278 in the results.
Tip: Verify Address
We recommend you verify the assigned school district for any property address as rental or realty listings may be incorrect. Visit Hennepin County Property Information Search and enter the property address. If the home/apartment is within our boundaries, you will see School District 278 in the results.
District Office (DO) mails Address Verification Form to resident families. Families return form and supporting documents to DO as soon as possible.
Schumann Elementary sends registration packet with additional forms to families with completed address verification forms. Watch for parent meeting info.
Return registration packet forms and supporting materials as soon as possible.
Enrolled students will receive their teacher assignment via ParentVUE, bus information, Kindergarten Orientation information, and school supply list.
Grades 1-12 typically start school on the Tuesday after Labor Day with Kindergarten students beginning the Wednesday after Labor Day. However, start dates are subject to change.
The school year summary calendar provides exact dates.
Completing your child's enrollment
Parents or legal guardians of children residing within the Orono Schools District Boundary Map should start the registration process by requesting an Address Verification Form by emailing email@example.com. Parent(s) will need to provide a copy of their lease/rental agreement, a settlement statement from closing on the purchase of a home, or a current utility bill that shows your name at the in-district address.
Address Verification Form for resident/in-district families
After an Address Verification Form is submitted and residency is verified, you will be directed to the appropriate school(s) for enrollment packets.
Birth certificate or passport
The district will make a copy of your child's birth certificate or passport.
State law requires that all parents or guardians of students in Kindergarten through grade 12 provide written proof of their child’s immunization against the following diseases: DTaP (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis a.k.a. whooping cough); Polio, Varicella (chicken pox); MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella); HBV (Hepatitis B)
Children will not be allowed to attend school until a record of the month, day and year of each of the required immunizations have been provided. Families that object to immunizations must provide a notarized declination form. Please visit www.health.state.mn.us/immunize for all required immunization information. Questions regarding immunizations can also be directed to the district nurse at 952-449-8317.
Early Childhood Screening
All children in the state of Minnesota are required to complete an Early Childhood Screening prior to kindergarten enrollment. Early Childhood Screening is a free check of your child’s development including hearing, vision, communication skills, motor skills and social-emotional development. Documentation of an Early Childhood Screening, completed by our district or a different district, is required.
For more information about Early Childhood Screening, please visit [CONTENT NEEDED]
To schedule an Early Childhood Screening appointment, you can:
Transcript from previous schools
Please provide a copy of transcript or grades from previous schools and test results, if available. If not available, please provide the name and address of the last school attended so we can request records.
Parents/guardians should also provide additional documentation, if applicable:
- Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy.
- Gifted evaluation: If you are requesting placement or an evaluation for an advanced course, please submit documentation (report cards and state test scores) for the program coordinator.
- Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan: If your student has an IEP or 504 Plan, providing a copy of the plan and Educational/Psychological Assessment Report will help us determine your student’s proper placement in a timely manner.
- Legal name change: All student records need to show the student’s full legal name. If the student’s name has been legally changed, please provide a copy of the court document.
- Order for Protection: If there is a current circumstance that we need to be aware of, please provide a copy of the legal document.
For more information about transportation by school bus, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Orono Schumann Elementary and Orono Intermediate School use the CarRiderPro system to efficiently move cars through the pick-up line at dismissal. Please contact Orono Schumann Elementary or Orono Intermediate School for details if you are new to the district.