2022 Tech Levy Renewal
2022 Tech Levy Election Results
|LONG LAKE P-01||565||285|
|MAPLE PLAIN P-01||471||347|
|MINNETONKA BEACH P-01||217||97|
On November 8, 2022, Orono Schools residents will vote whether to renew the district's Technology Levy. Because this is a straight renewal, there will be no tax increase if approved by voters. The tech levy will provide a dedicated funding stream for the next 10 years. Please read on to learn where these critical dollars are applied.
Straight renewal means no tax increase
The district is grateful for community support over the last 20 years. The Orono Schools Technology Levy was originally approved by voters in 2002, renewed in 2011, and is now up for renewal again.
The request is a renewal of an existing levy that is about to expire, so there will be no tax increase if approved. The levy generates approximately $1.2 million annually.
Orono Schools is committed to providing accurate and transparent information to help residents make an informed decision on the Tech Levy Renewal. Please learn all you can on this website and contact us if you have questions.
Please see the bank of tabs at the bottom of this webpage. Under Absentee and Early Voting, you can click to view the days and hours for your city.
Orono Schools District Office
Tech Levy at-a-Glance
- The request is a flat renewal of an existing levy that is about to expire, so there will be no tax increase if approved.
- Minnesota does not provide school districts with categorical aid for technology; districts must rely on technology levies for these essential dollars.
- If voters approve the renewal, it would provide a predictable funding stream for (details below):
- classroom learning and teacher training
- reliable access districtwide
- building security, cyber security, student data privacy, and technical support staff
- If voters do not approve the renewal in November 2022, the levy will expire and the district would need to cut $1.2 million annually from its operating budget. These cuts would impact teachers, programs and technology districtwide.
We invite you to review resources related to the Tech Levy Renewal:
Orono's Technology Levy Supports...
Classroom Learning & Teacher Training
Tools and teacher training to support excellence in teaching and learning and ensure Orono students are future ready.
Reliable Access throughout the district
Regularly maintained and updated networks, systems, and software to support classroom teaching and learning and district operations.
Campus security, data security & technical support
Campus security, visitor management, secure networks, student data privacy, and technology support staff.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is the district making this request now?
- How will this request affect my property taxes?
- Wasn’t there a referendum in 2020?
- What will happen if voters do not approve the renewal?
- What does the ballot question look like?
- Does the district receive technology funding from the state?
- How does Orono compare to neighboring districts?
- Who monitors spending of Tech Levy funds?
- Didn’t all school districts recently receive funding from the government due to the pandemic?
- Where will I vote on this request?
- If I don’t have children in school, how does the technology levy renewal impact me?