About Orono Middle School
Student life at Orono Middle School (OMS) is all about discovery. Students benefit from a varied curriculum that provides exposure to many topics. Caring staff love the middle school age group and provide support every step of the way. Take a virtual tour through our building!
The mission of Orono Middle School, in collaboration with students, families and the surrounding community, is to provide a safe and caring environment, where ALL students are empowered and challenged to reach their full potential and become lifelong learners and contributing citizens. orono middle school mission statement
800 N. Old Crystal Bay Road
Long Lake, MN 55356
8 a.m.–2:40 p.m.
Hours: 7:30 a.m.–3 p.m.
If you have questions, please email
MSattendance@orono.k12.mn.us or 952-449-8451
Health Office: 952-449-8461
Orono Middle School Goals
- Scholarship Goal – Orono Middle School will strengthen the tradition of high academic standards. Students and staff will develop the self-reflection and critical thinking skills to become a community of engaged learners.
- Character Goal – We will understand and model the traits of good character that will be utilized in all settings throughout life.
- Relationships Goal – We will maintain, through enhanced communication, a partnership with the Orono Schools community built on trust, honesty and integrity.
Our Commitment to Middle Level Learners
When Orono Middle School was re-established in 2000 with a commitment to support and enhance the unique academic, social, and emotional needs of adolescent learners the following middle level structures were also implemented:
- Teaching Teams
- Advisory Program
- Exploratory Program
- Student Support/Counseling Programs
- Gifted and Talented Support
- Building Climate Initiatives
Learning in the Classroom
Orono Middle School focuses on individual students in order to guide them in their academic and social development. Our faculty provides learning opportunities for young adolescents as they transition from middle school to high school.
The course of study available to all students includes a core curriculum and instruction that satisfies diverse needs. Students are challenged to extend themselves as learners. Additionally, fine arts, world languages, music, technology and physical education create a comprehensive learning experience that prepares students for success in high school.
With emphasis on student learning and development, Orono Middle School provides:
- Test scores that consistently exceed state and national averages
- Technology and Engineering (STEM)
- World languages
- Enriched classes
- Fine arts programs
- Vocal and instrumental music programs
- Service learning program
- Character Counts!
- Advisory programs
- Counseling program
- Formative and Summative Assessment Practices
- Integrated Instructional Technology
- Enhanced Literacy Learning Opportunity (ELLO)
- Reading and Math intervention
- WEB orientation and leadership program
- Academic planning (College/Interest)
- Peer mentoring and tutoring
Learning Beyond The Classroom
- Earth Day Activities
- Service Learning
- The Great Race
- Impact Lives
- University of Minnesota Experience
- Physics Field Trip to Mall of America
- Field Trip to the Science Museum of Minnesota
- Olympic Competitions
- Courage Retreat
- Baker Park Day
- Geography Bee
- Student Recognition
- Sports teams–Orono Community Education
- Cultural Experiences
OMS welcomes all visitors and volunteers. Visitors need to push the OMS doorbell, located on the left wall nearest the main entry door, and a staff member will unlock the door and assist you in the main office.
Classroom Volunteers: Your child's classroom teacher and OMS staff may share other opportunities for volunteering. Please complete an application in Frontline.
Orono Middle School Parent Association (OMSPA): To learn more about volunteer opportunities, please visit our Partners webpage and be sure to connect with the Orono Middle School Parent Association (OMSPA) that serves grades 6-8. If you are interested in adding your name to their volunteer list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. There are lots of volunteer opportunities with flexibility to fit your schedule and interests! Thank you for helping to support the OMSPA mission!
Every volunteer is required to complete a background check through our partner, Trusted Employees. The cost is $10. Thank you!
My love for working with middle level learners began in college when I was given the opportunity to intern as an at-risk assistant at a Middle School in Colorado. Middle School students’ curiosity, energy and love of learning make each day exciting and new. My favorite part of being a middle level administrator is having the opportunity to support and guide students and families through their middle school experience.
I look forward to getting to know your student this year, and assisting them as they grow educationally, socially and emotionally during their middle school career. Please feel free to contact me at anytime.
Mr. Kray has a Bachelor of Science degree in English Language Arts Education from Minnesota State University-Moorhead, a Masters of Science Education from Minnesota State University-Moorhead, and a degree in Educational Administration and Leadership from St. Cloud State University. He has served as a high school Dean of Students in the Dassel-Cokato Public Schools. Prior to moving into administration, Mr. Kray taught English Language Arts in the Windom Public Schools and the Central Public Schools.