Transition Program (18-21)
The Orono Transition Program is for young adults with disabilities between the ages of 18-21 years who have continuing transition needs as they progress from high school to living and working as independently as they can in their communities.
The content of the program focuses on the transition areas that prepare these students for independent life:
- Learn employment areas of interest and career goals
- Resume development
- Pursue and engage in employment options
- Hennepin Technical College
- Southwest Metro Career and Technical Education
Recreation and Leisure
- Learn how to access and use community centers and supports
- Engage in activities within your community
- Develop personal independence within your community
- Build independence and advocacy
- Increase social skills across settings
- Learn and utilize basic math and reading skills applicable to daily life
- Practice independent living skills
Transition Services are determined by using person-centered planning, coordinating services with adult-based service agencies, and the Individual Education Plan (IEP) process, We help students achieve their goals by providing individualized instruction, training and support based on their identified needs.
Transition Program FAQs
- How does my young-adult child qualify for Transition services?
- How are Transition services provided?
- What Transition services are provided?
- Will my child receive a high school diploma if he or she participates in the Orono Transition Program?
How does my young-adult child qualify for Transition services?
How are Transition services provided?
What Transition services are provided?
Will my child receive a high school diploma if he or she participates in the Orono Transition Program?
Special Education Teacher
We will gain knowledge about ourselves and the communities we live in by participating in life experiences in a non-judgmental, safe environment. This will help us to learn as we overcome our challenges; these experiences will give us confidence and knowledge we need to help us succeed, make responsible decisions regarding our “direction” and “purpose” in life, contribute to our society and live a life of independence and success. Orono Transition Program Mission Statement
Interagency Resources & Services
- Hennepin County Developmental Disabilities - Transition Unit
- Community Informational Sessions
- Adult Residential and Vocational Services
- Community Resources
- Transition to Adult Services
- Transportation Services